Advantages of Direct FuelCell® (DFC®) stationary power plants
FuelCell Energy’s DFC power plants offer numerous advantages over conventional and alternative power generation sources:
- Ultra-clean due to their virtual absence of pollutants which supports sustainability goals, facilitates clean air permitting during installation, and benefits public health throughout the lifecycle of the power plant
- Economical because high efficiency reduces fuel costs
- Reliable baseload power provides continuous electricity and heat around-the-clock
- On-site distributed generation improves power reliability and energy security
- Fuel flexible DFCs can be operated on clean natural gas, renewable biogas or directed biogas
- Combined heat and power (CHP) further drives economics and efficiency — as high as 90 percent, depending on the application
- Avoid investment and maintenance in costly, difficult to site transmission & distribution (T&D) infrastructure
- Versatile DFC power plants convert biogas waste disposal problems into ultra-clean power generation solutions for operations that generate biogas
- High efficiency minimizes the carbon footprint of DFC plants operating on natural gas; DFC plants are generally classified as carbon neutral by regulatory bodies when operating on biogas due to its renewable nature
Our DFC stationary power plants are easy to site in populated areas due to their quiet operation and lack of vibrations, modest space requirements, low carbon footprint and virtual absence of pollutants.
DFC plants are scalable power generation sources, allowing for affordable and incremental energy investment that meets growing power needs over time with multi-megawatt installations either on-site or distributed throughout an electric utility service area.
Credit: copyright 2011 National Fuel Cell Research Center
Source: Build-Up of Distributed Fuel Cell Value in California – 2011 Update background and methodology, 2011